Thursday, October 31, 2013

What if Grief was a 12 Step Program?

I don't remember what exactly put this thought in my head. I was driving today and all of the sudden I was asking myself what I could do to make sure I'm really working through everything that's going on in my mind, body, and soul. I remember at age 10 on Sarah's birthday I wrote her a letter of all the things I remembered from her short life and all the dreams I had held for her. I burnt the letter, releasing the ashes into the heavens and hopefully up to her. This was my way of finally communicating all the things left unsaid. So, what would the steps be if there were a program to recover from grief?



  • One must admit and accept that they were or could be powerless to grief—that our lives or our subconscious had become unmanageable.
  • Come to believe that there is a power greater than ourselves which could restore us to sanity if we knew how to seek our courage from it.
  • Make the decision to turn our lives over to the care of God as we understand Him. God is God... no matter what we call him/her.
  • Make a moral inventory of ourselves. It must be an inventory that is without fear, without limit and encompassing all of our idiosyncrasies.
  • Admit to God, to ourselves, and to a loved one just how much and in what ways grief has effected us.
  • Be completely ready to do what we must do to be relieved of that grief.
  • Humbly asked God to remove our sadness and help us to overcome and live life in a positive, open way.
  • Make a list of all the people or all the aspects of our lives that may have been neglected in the grieving process and become willing to repair these relationships.
  • Make direct amends to such people and make ways to furthermore express our care and affinity for the people closest to us.
  • Continue to monitor our grief, and when we are struggling, promptly admit it and, above all, don't be afraid to ask for support.
  • Seek through prayer or meditation to improve our relationship with God as we understand Him, praying only for knowledge of, not behind, His will for us and the power to carry that out.
  • Having an awakening to the grief and sharing our experience with others so as they may be helped from our own experiences.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment