Monday, January 6, 2014

Sometimes You Gotta Vent

Men... gotta love 'em. I LOVE my husband. He's patient, intelligent, uncomplicated (for the most part) and he's been the rock in this crazy life I've led from Peace Corps until now.
See, what's not to love?


But, what I don't love is his diet advice. Why?
1) He's a guy! He can eat whatever he wants and doesn't gain anything
2) He's from NIGER!!!! I can honestly say that while in Niger I never met a person with an eating disorder ... see notes below
 -- I do not have an eating disorder
 -- Some people (a lot, actually) suffer from malnutrition in Niger but it is not out of a diet-conscious    mentality



 -- In Niger, food is most often shared communally and while starch heavy YOU WALK EVERYWHERE

I promise, everyone is actually happy here... typical Niger picture with no one smiling

3) I don't know a lot of the words to explain how Jenny Craig works in French... i.e. calorie, deficit, etc

So, he sees me eating every 2-3 hours and offers me this brilliant solution.... quit eating so much. What he doesn't realize is that this is what my meal plan is. Smaller meals lower in calories and volumized with plenty of non starchy vegetables. I've been having a really ON POINT week... exercising like crazy, signed up for my first 5k of 2014 (Color Me Rad on April 12th) and have been prepping my meals and weighing, measuring, and logging everything... even my cake today YUM... but it left me so frustrated.

I hate not being able to communicate everything and feeling critiqued. I know deep down in my brain that he didn't mean anything by it. Just in Niger, you eat your meal and that's it... then you eat your next meal, you pray and you sleep... repeat.
Sometimes you dance, too!

So, there's my vent! I feel more understood already! And I love sharing some photos from Niger :)

No comments:

Post a Comment