Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Color Me Rad Training and Battling Negative Talk


C25K Week 4 and Battling Negative Talk

Sunday morning I woke up pumped. I was ready to jump out of bed, get dressed and go running. I hadn’t done my c25k training all week long with all the extra hip hop classes I did. It was a WEIRD week with all the cancellations at work due to weather and other craziness at work as well. I really needed the dancing so I’m glad I did it.

I was ready to head off to the rec center and I got to thinking that their hours were probably different it being Sunday and all. Good thing I looked because the track didn’t open until 10 and it was only 8:30AM. I contemplated running outside, I even headed out and got started until the drizzle and slippery sidewalks made me hightail it back inside.

So about 10:45 I headed off to the rec center for week 4. I started getting nervous. I hadn’t run in a week and week 4 is where it starts to get longer intervals. I had gotten a glance at the intervals when I started my warm up outside. Week 4 consists of warm up walk, jog 3 minutes then walk a minute and a half, jog 5 minutes then walk 2 minutes and a half and REPEAT then cool down.

The negative thoughts set in… “It’s a lot of running” “You’re still too slow” “My feet hurt a lot”. I got into the rec center and found many more people than I was expecting for a Sunday morning. “I can’t run with so many people to dodge” Blah, blah, blah! I reluctantly got started and surprisingly hit a really good stride. I wasn’t even glancing at my phone to see how much longer until I could walk.

By the time I was halfway through I couldn’t believe it. I managed to run over two miles and even got a 13-minute mile! That’s my fastest time since restarting. On my way home I felt strong and energized and sheepish! Why did I almost talk myself out of doing something that I knew I could do, that I knew would make me feel good? These are the mental games that I still play on myself. I don’t know at won’t point I won’t do that to myself anymore… maybe I’ll always have to fight against those thoughts.


Pushing through the excuses and all of the reasons to NOT do something will help you to appreciate your results more. I used to let many things STOP me but now I'm doing my best to find other solutions to the problems that arise.

In order to stave off these negative thoughts I’ve been surrounding myself with positive people, people who have similar goals in mind, similar interests. I’ve been reading so much and am looking to buy The Beck Diet Solution. I’ve heard great reviews about this book helping to change your mentality towards food. I’m not even into self-help books but this one looks good. I’ve also been looking up motivational quotes and pictures and using them for my own posts on instagram (@faizayagi).



Tomorrow I'll address motivation and what keeps ME going each day:


No comments:

Post a Comment