Sunday, February 2, 2014

It's Not too Late for a Superbowl Recipe, Right?

I guess that depends on how fast you can get out to the store. I'm not going to lie... I've never been a fan of the Super Bowl... or football in general. I just don't get it. Soccer, yes... basketball, yes... hell, even hockey but never got football. And I haven't even found the commercials entertaining enough to sit through halftime either. Sorry, I'm lame.

But I am a fan of cooking and hosting a small get together. My favorite recipe to make in groups is Fiesta Chicken. It can be used as a dip with chips, taco/burrito/enchilada filling, a salad topper or just by eaten by itself. Which is handy because this recipe yields A LOT of chicken cheesy deliciousness. AND it's a crock pot recipe which makes its simplicity even better.

What you'll need:

A Crockpot :)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
Seasoning (I usually use garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and poultry seasoning as well as salt and pepper)
1 can seasoned black beans (drained)
1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
1 jar of your favorite salsa (I use Pace Picante chunky salsa Medium)
         **Chunky salsa is a little better for texture otherwise I'd use Jack's salsa from Kroger
1 brick of cream cheese
1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (I sometimes use a mexican blend cheese)

1. Season your chicken breasts on both sides and place in bottom of crock pot
2. Top chicken with black beans, then the corn, and finally the salsa
3. Season the mixture on top of the chicken and gently stir those together (you could do this in a
    separate bowl if it's easier for you
4. On high heat leave for 3-6 hours
5. Test your chicken with a fork and if it easily separates, use two forks to shred the chicken breasts
    while still in the crock pot set on low heat or warm mode
6. 30 minutes prior to serving - place the brick of cream cheese on top of the shredded chicken mixture
    and cover with the shredded cheese (don't stir) and leave on low/warm
7. Just before serving stir in the melted cheese and ENJOY


It's the dip right next to the bread in the checkered cloth. It was YUMMY.

Look for my recipe for spicy rutabaga/turnip fries on Thursday

1 comment:

  1. Yum-o! Sounds delicious! I will be trying that in the near future. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete